Saturday, March 27, 2010

Cotignac March 27

Tis spring and I'm in the south of France.  Cotignac is a fine little village just big enough to make you fear that you might get lost, but small enough to allow you to find your way back home.  The house where my friends are staying looks directly out to the cliffs which surround one side of the village.  This shot is taken from the living room window. 

The first walk of the day with Maddox, age 4, took me as far as his school and one of the three boulangeries in town, then quickly back to the house.  The second, and more satisfying walk, with Maddox and his sister Jasper, age 8, was along one side of town to a lovely waterfall where we entertained ourselves playing "save the stick", a game where you throw sticks into the stream, then attempt to retrieve them as they go rushing by in the current.  I had my eyes fixed on Maddox quite certain that he would take a tumble into the cold water, but he's sure-footed and agile.  In the meantime, his sister managed to submerge herself to the waist.  To her credit she didn't complain a bit and we continued the game until we were joined by a group of adults and children and an ill-behaved dog which I was certain would be the "drop to cause the vase to overflow" as far as Maddox was concerned.  Not wanting to return with two wet children, we made our way back home while we were still fifty-percent dry. 

The third walk of the day was to the local grocer with Mark's mother, Kay.  The local grocer is tiny but has a grand assortment of fruits, vegetables, dairy products, and much more.  There was only one large celery which I was needing for a soup I was planning.  I was a bit dismayed at the prospect of having that much celery - I was uncertain how the children felt about this particular vegetable.  When the grocer assured me that I did not need to buy the whole thing, I could simply break-off whatever portion I desired.  Will wonders never cease?

No comments:

Post a Comment