Monday, March 29, 2010

Cotignac March 29


Is it Monday already?  Yippee! Today was my day to walk little Maddox, age 4, to L'ecole Maternelle.  How sweet is that?  I rose early just to have that privilege.  I've been walking past French schools in Paris and various other French towns, but this was my opportunity to see the inside.  At the playground entrance, the parents were greeted by one of the teachers or teacher's aides with the standard French greeting of two kisses.  Perhaps because I was unknown to the teacher or because I was with Maddox, I was not offered kisses.  However, everyone was nice enough and the whole process from playground entrance to my departure could not have taken more than a couple minutes.  I think I'm going to try it again before I leave and see if I can savor it a bit more.

The next highlight of the day was a trip to a couple of the bakeries in town for bread and an unsuccessful search for almond (or almond/chocolate) croissants.  There were only butter croissants today, but on the shelf just above them were beignets, in apple and nutella!  These were very well received by all and almond croissants were forgotten, at least for the moment.

My walk today took me up to the Notre Dame de Grace, a lovely, if basic, church on a wind-swept hilltop with a view of the surrounding countryside.  It was a relatively warm afternoon so reading as I sat on a bench in the breeze amongst the trees was divine.

No comments:

Post a Comment